The Different Paths to U.S. Permanent Residency

The United States has been a hub for foreign immigration for a number of years. While it may be a popular place for immigrants to come to, obtaining U.S. permanent residency is not necessarily an easy process. In most cases, hiring a U.S. immigration lawyer to guide you through your options will be highly beneficial.

The permanent residency card for the United States is informally known as a “Green Card.” In general terms, some of the primary ways that you can obtain a Green Card are highlighted below.


If you invest at a minimum of $500,000 in a government-approved regional center and create 10 jobs for American citizens or permanent residents, you may be able to get your Green Card in less than 2 years.


Obtaining a Green Card is an option that is available to highly skilled individuals with the right experience. This is because the US is short of skilled workers in the fields of engineering, technology and science, among other fields. U.S. employers who are seeking certain skilled workers can hire a foreign worker and then sponsor them to gain legal status.

Family Sponsorship

If you have a family member who has legal status in the U.S., you can apply for immigration by having that family member sponsor you. The individual must be an immediate family member (spouse, parent or child) and have the means to support you financially and lawfully. You can also apply for U.S. permanent residency if you marry a U.S. citizen.

While both of these are viable options to become a legal U.S. permanent resident, it is essential to get the services of a qualified U.S. immigration lawyer to ensure there are no issues with the process. They understand the law and can help with the often confusing and complex application procedure.

For help with your path to U.S. immigration, contact the experts at Mirian Law Firm for a free assessment today. You may also call us at 647-556-5888.