The E-2 Treaty Visa in the USA

Visa options exist for those individuals who wish to immigrate to the United States for business reasons. It is an accepted fact that highly skilled and knowledgeable people contribute to a nation’s economy, and those with substantial capital for business reasons also help immensely. That’s why both Treaty Trader and Treaty Investor Visas exist for citizens of countries with treaties of commerce with the USA. Let’s focus on the E-2 or Treaty Investor visa in the USA, and learn more about who qualifies, and how to get it.

What is the visa?

Unlike other visas that exist to allow people to immigrate and then settle with permanent residency due to family, work skills, or hardship, the E-2 visa exists for people who wish to come to the country to engage in major trade in services, technology, or other business. Like all other visas, there are certain specific requirements to determine eligibility.

What are the requirements?

In order to qualify for a Treaty Investor Visa, you have to demonstrate the following criteria for consideration:

  • You must be a citizen of a treaty country.
  • You must own 50% of the business if you wish to qualify in that manner.
  • The investment has to be substantial. The funds must be committed and are irrevocable.
  • The endeavour must be active and not idle.
  • It needs to have a significant economic impact on the USA.
  • You must be the one in control of the funds.
  • You must either be the principal investor, an essential employee or in another highly specialized skill capacity.

Should you meet these criteria, then your application will be considered by the government.

How do you apply?

Applying for the visa isn’t simple, but the process is fairly straightforward. First, you should complete the DS-160 application form online. You must also upload a photo. From there you need to set up an interview with the US embassy or consulate in your country. It is important to bring your application to the interview. You also must pay a fee of $205 dollars to submit your application. Be sure to bring your passport, application, photo, payment receipt, and Treaty Investor application.

If you are someone who is interested in immigrating to the United States for business purposes and possess either a lucrative business or capital to invest in a business that will have a substantial economic impact, then an E-2 Treaty Investor Visa is the best way for you to get a visa.

Mirian Law Firm has extensive experience in the field of immigration law services and can help you navigate this complex process.